What is your role on the TEam?
I manage the Teaching Excellence Alternative Certification Program
Where did you study? List all that apply.
- Duncan High School (Duncan, OK)
- Oklahoma State University (Stillwater, OK)
- Houston Baptist University (Houston, TX)
Why are you passionate about education and teacher development?
- I believe education inequity is the civil rights of our generation and
- I believe teachers have the greatest impact on student achievement, so we should spend our resources developing teachers to the best of our abilities.
Describe a successful teaching strategy that you used in the classroom or that you frequently recommend to your teachers.
I always encourage teachers to establish a “Sense of Urgency” as a part of the classroom culture by establishing mini goals for everything that happens in the classroom. Set a goal for how long it will take everyone to come sit down and start the Do First, challenge all students to finish the Do First in the allotted time, etc.
If you had to describe your work on the TEam in three words, what would they be?
What advice would you have for an educator that aspires to become an instructional leader?
Everything you do, make it a point to connect it to the bottom line…students. Have an asset-based mindset for all of our experiences and learn from each experience, especially the “not so great ones”.
When you are not working on closing the achievement gap, what do you enjoy doing?
Spending time with the Texaricans (my kids), finding great music, finding great bargains.
Which TE-shirt is your favorite and why?
I Y TE
(I am wearing an Eddy the Explorer eye patch)