Teaching Excellence has been certifying teachers since 2010, when it officially became an alternative certification program (ACP). Originally started as a support program for new teachers at YES Prep, Teaching Excellence has expanded to train and certify teachers at partnership schools across Houston. The certification pathway started as a way to simplify the process for teachers, allowing them to complete alternative certification requirements while teaching their first year in the classroom. Read below to learn five fun facts about the ACP pathway at Teaching Excellence.
1. In the majority of ACPs, teachers only get observed in their classrooms three times a year with very little feedback. Through Teaching Excellence,
teachers get observed every 1.5-2 weeks and receive ongoing feedback and support from both their instructional coaches and their campus administrators.
2. Other ACP field-based supervisors might manage hundreds of teachers each. Our field-based supervisors, called instructional coaches, have an average cohort of 15 teachers, allowing for focused and individualized support.
3. Teaching Excellence offers ongoing professional development throughout the school year, based on teachers’ needs. TE Induction also counts toward required hours for certification. By the end of the year, new teachers have participated in over 300 hours of professional development.
4. Through Teaching Excellence, YES Prep became the first charter school in Texas to offer a certification pathway.
5. Of teachers who were certified by Teaching Excellence last year, 97 percent agreed or strongly agreed that Teaching Excellence is a quality teacher-development program.